Its history reaches back to the Stone Age
The history of human settlement in the Heimerdingen area stretches all the way back to the Stone Age. Even the revered Celtic leader who was buried so elaborately in Hockdorf may have hunted and ruled here. Written information about the area exists only for the time after the first mention of its name in a deed dated 798 A. D. What is known reflects the land tenure based on agriculture and the special aspect of this area: the possession of extensive forest land. The ownership of approximately 750 acres of forest helped the community of Heimerdingen attain a goodly level of wealth. The confidence of the village inhabitants is reflected in the 17th-century gravestones of the Schultheissen Zeller family, now located inside the Protestant church of Peter and Paul, which was rebuilt in 1777 after a fire.
Major technological advances came to Heimerdingen around the turn of the last century. The first steam threshing machine was put into operation here on a large farm. Connections to the world outside were provided by the Strohgäu railway. Medium-sized businesses first came here after the Second World War, rapidly turning a purely agricultural village into a rural residential town with medium-sized businesses. With around 3,500 inhabitants and ten associations, Heimerdingen is now an independent local community.